Work on the USCSS Conrad proceeds apace. If I had some kind of plan for this I’m sure I’d be able to update you with a series of tightly focussed posts that home unerringly in on a final product. I don’t have a plan, though, so I just built a load of random things and shoved them onto the grid.
Nauseating Alien Column:
This morning I got tired of the clean lines of the Conrad itself and decided to branch out into some alien stuff. There’s going to be a fair bit of this but I started with a fairly simple floor-to-ceiling column of glistening goo. Starting with a twelve foot shaft of gleaming mucus is a plan that has served me well in the past so I saw no reason to change now.
This started as a simple outline model in Lightwave that I then imported into Zbrush. A little work with the Wacom tablet produced a high poly model (around 800k polys) and a lightly modified version of the low poly model. I baked out the normals from the high poly and ran them through Knald to get an Ambient Occlusion and Convexity maps.
I took these maps and layered them over a dark green background in GIMP. A few copies of the ambient occlusion map added some depth to the surface in multiply blend mode. The convexity map went over the top in screen blend mode to highlight the convex veins in a lighter colour. It produced a diffuse texture that seems very effective when combined with the normal map and a high specular shine. I’ll likely be using this kind of cycle to produce other bits of alien architecture.
The low poly model went back into Lightwave for further decimation using the brutally effective qemLOSS3 plugin and then was uploaded to the grid for a final LI of 3, which isn’t too bad for the size I’m making them.
Next up were a couple of casualties, preserved under Aleph’s excellent antibacterial sheets.
These were a fairly quick build. I used Poser (I’m still using the copy of Poser 4 that I bought in, I think, late 2000. It’s a miracle it still works) to make a couple of posed figures. I fiddled with them a little in Lightwave (what’s a little dismemberment and decapitation between friends?) and then dropped a simulated cloth across them both.
Another quick cycle through low and high poly models got me some grid-ready meshes and normal maps. A few minutes in Illustrator made the diffuse texture – those Aleph guys sure like to brand everything. They’re not subtle like Weyland-Yutani.
The Conrad is going to be dark. Very dark. It’s my plan that the final version will require users to wear a small HUD that uses RLV to control their Windlight environment settings (the SL experience tools may also be able to do this but since they’re not available it’s gonna have to be RLV). While building I wear a simple version of this HUD that I can turn on and off with a click in order to test the experience. With the HUD active there is no ambient light at all and only things lit directly by in-world lights show up. This incredibly dark environment lets subtle lighting effects really show up very well.
A lot of the effort in this build is going into lighting – I need to get something that will let me record video of SL proprly so I can post something that shows the scripted lighting effects I’ve got in place already. I’ll probably talk about these in a later post once I’ve expanded them a bit more.
One of the lighting effects I want to use is having active display screens project their light into the scene. This is pretty simple to do with projector lights but nothing’s ever quite as straightforward as it seems.
The pic above shows part of the main lounge area of the Conrad with the light from a status monitor illuminating the walls and a door. The screen is showing a simple image of ship’s status (long story short: not good) but also projecting that image into the scene.
To get this effect I drew a stark black and white image for the monitor to display in Illustrator:
To make this image into something useful I needed to run it through a few GIMP filters and then flip it horizontally. In SL we have some very nice fine control over images applied as textures (we can scale them, flip them, tile them etc) but we have none of that flexibility for light projector images, so we have to build the image for use as a projector and then use the texture options to make it look right as a texture.
As you can see the final image is a bit glowy and a little pixelated and mirrored left-to-right. If used as a light projector image it will be “right” for being the projected light of the original unflipped image. It’s also squashed into a square format for uploading to SL, but that’s really incidental to the real work.
This image can be used directly as a light projector image. To use it as the texture on a mesh you need to change the horizontal scale to -1.0, flipping it back to the right way round. Set the surface to full-bright, add a little glow and you get a really cool effect that casts subtle and correct light into the scene.
So, that’s the state of the USCSS Conrad as it stands now. Land Impact 52 and growing…